|RECORDS, FIND AND CONNECT|
|FAMILY REUNION |
|The Records, Find and Connect team can assist Forgotten Australians to meet relatives from their birth family whom they have never met or whom they have not seen since childhood.|
If you are seeking to contact family members you may wish to speak to a Records, Find & Connect Worker about:
- Who are you going to meet?
- What are your expectations for the reunion?
- Do you require support at or after the reunion?
- Have you thought about how your family member/s will react to the reunion?
|Assistance for undertaking reunion activities|
- Financial assistance may be available to contribute to the costs of the Forgotten Australian undertaking a reunion. Applicants need to provide confirmation of their time in 'care' in Victoria.
- Inquiries relating to financial assistance are to be made to the Records, Find & Connect team.
- Approval must be obtained in writing before travel expenses are incurred.
- At least four weeks notice is required before the proposed travel date.
- Assistance may include the use of travel by train, bus or plane. Consideration will be given to contributing to two nights accommodation.
- This assistance applies only to Forgotten Australians in 'care' in Victoria.
- Assistance is only available to the travel costs of the Forgotten Australian not to family members.
- Assistance is only available for travel within Australia.
|In exceptional circumstances, such as where the Forgotten Australian is unable to travel at all (eg: serious illness) or where the Forgotten Australian is unable to travel alone, consideration may be given to providing funding for a family member to travel to visit the Forgotten Australian, or to enable a carer to accompany the applicant. A doctor’s certificate will be required for these applications.|