Time ‘in care’ records

Our Records, Find & Connect worker can support you to apply for documents about you that may be held by Record Holder agencies such as the Victorian Department of Families, Fairness and Housing and their Interstate counterparts, and non-State agencies with responsibility for the heritage and records of former Children’s Homes, Orphanages and Institutions.

The worker can apply on your behalf or give you information and advice about how to apply yourself.

We can help you with application forms, explain where the records may be held and how they can be accessed, how long the search may take, and what to expect in the records.

Open Place can also advocate on your behalf if you feel you are not getting enough of a  response to your application.

We understand that receiving your files can bring up mixed emotions and we offer support during the search journey, when you receive your records, and afterwards if needed.

We always recommend that Forgotten Australians receive counselling during the search process. You can access counselling through Open Place or with a counsellor of your choice.

Other records

Our Records, Find & Connect worker can also help you to search for the following important documents:

  • Former Ward of State records
  • Records relating to time in care from non-State agencies
  • Photographs (where possible, if existing)
  • Birth certificates for yourself and your family members (where Privacy laws and timeframes allow).
  • Death notices and certificates of your family members (where privacy laws and timeframes allow).
  • Marriage certificates of your family members (where privacy laws and timeframes allow).
  • Family member military records.
  • Family member immigration/passenger records.
More about our services
Richmond Drop-In
Meet up with other Forgotten Australians, use computers and facilities, get support, share a meal and take part in group activities. Available on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Records searches and family reunions
Our Records, Find & Connect team can support you to access records from your time ‘in care’ and to search for family members.
Health support
Open Place receives annual funding from the Victorian Government to support Forgotten Australians in meeting costs related to your health needs.
National Redress Scheme support
Free support for Forgotten Australians who are applying for, or thinking of applying for, redress through the National Redress Scheme.
Talk privately with a trained professional who can listen, offer support, advice, and share new ways of thinking about any challenges that you’re facing.
Coordinated support
We provide information, referral, casework and advocacy to help Forgotten Australians to improve your health and wellbeing.
Social support groups
Join our monthly meet-ups to talk about shared interests and take part in group activities and events designed to support your health and wellbeing.
Community education
We are committed to raising community awareness about the challenges faced by Forgotten Australians, with the aim of improving your access to services.
Events and activities
Upcoming Drop-In activities and other events for Forgotten Australians organised by Open Place.