OUR VISION & PURPOSE
Open Place is a support and advocacy service that co-ordinates and provides direct assistance to address the needs of people who grew up in Victorian orphanages and homes during the last century. We aim to help people who identify as Forgotten Australians to deal with the legacy of their childhood experiences and provide support to improve their health and well-being.
It is a service that aims to be accessible, welcoming and open to new ideas. Open Place is for all Victorian Forgotten Australians, irrespective of where they reside now. The majority of support services are for Forgotten Australians themselves, with some support provided to members of their immediate family. We provide personal support, support in accessing specialist services, financial assistance and individual advocacy.
Our team works together with service users to identify the needs of Forgotten Australians and to deliver high quality, caring services for them and their families. We believe in reaching out and in being accountable to Forgotten Australians for the way that we deliver our services.
Our multidisciplinary team of creative, flexible, and professional practitioners are committed to the principles of Open Place.
Showing humility and courage
- Open Place wants Forgotten Australians to express their views.
- We will not shy away from criticisms or concerns of others, nor ignore the lessons of history (including the recent past).
- We will represent the interests of Forgotten Australians and their immediate families, in the wider service sector and the community.
- We will advocate for changes to the delivery of services to which Forgotten Australians are entitled where those services are seen as inaccessible, discriminatory or otherwise not meeting their needs.
Being respectful and strength oriented
- We will celebrate achievements, resilience and survival.
- Services, including individualised planning, recognise and work with the strengths and capacities of each individual.
Committing to flexibility and integration
- Every effort will be made to ensure Open Place is accessible to Victorian Forgotten Australians regardless of their place of residence, their abilities or their financial circumstances.
- We will provide information and assistance to help Forgotten Australians to access support from other services they need.
- Our staff and volunteers will be skilled and have the knowledge and values required to perform their duties to the highest possible standard.
- Action learning and review will focus on outcomes and we will build knowledge to inform service development, policy and practice change.
Working together and being inclusive
- We will promote a sense of ‘place’ by providing the space and resources to enable Forgotten Australians and their families to feel safe, welcome and acknowledged.
Honouring diversity and being culturally sensitive
- We will value the beliefs, traditions and heritage of everyone and will make every effort to provide a service which honours culture.